It has been nearly a year since I started this restoration work of my Terminator 2, and now it is finally completed.
It was a great challenge and many times I found myself tempted to abandon it. One of the biggest problems in this restoration was the playfield, it was in very poor condition, with some of the ink out, discolored or mylar with the need to be removed.
On the area of the bumpers, the wood had some big holes…
Removing the mylar, turned out to be quite hard because most of the ink, which was already damaged, come out.
The cabinet was relatively easy to restore, I had only to strengthen some parts, to avoid problems in the future.
I had to redesign the entire artwork because the old one had some scratches and was discolored in some parts.
I had to solve all the problems of the playfield so in the end I could apply the clearcoat.
In the execution of the painting, I changed between brush and airbrush, but most work was done with airbrush.
The result: a totally new pinball machine!
After all the paint touch-up and general cleaning in the playfield, I gave two layers of clearcoat to seal the artwork … it looks really good!
My skull of T2, initially had his jaw broken, probably because he caught some flying ball: D
I decided to put some new bumpers, but this time I bought the chrome ones. I think it maintains the style of the pinball machine
I also had to do some lighting tests, because I wanted to put it all in LEDs. I did a scketch to see which color would work better, and I think it worked out fine.
And finally, I started assembling around the playfield, plastics and cleaning of bridges, new rubbers, etc.
This post is getting too long so I leave you with the photos of the end result. Hope you enjoy it! It was a hard job but I think the effort paid off. I’m extremely happy with the end result. After all it’s almost like new xD