Adventure hooks! For each five a Game Master (GM) dangles in front of the players, the small devils usually bite hold of one. For your GM who’s conducting an open universe sandbox-style match, or perhaps the storyline GM searching for a brief one-off to break up the monotony of the bigger narrative, the Adventure Twist not merely acts as a way of inspiring the individual that runs the match but inciting the individuals who play the match.
However, what Game Master gets the type of time to sit around and think of possible experiences ideas their players could offer a tough pass? Worry not, your time-saving teller of tall stories tenders a transcendent tithe of tantalizing tropes to tempt the preferences and torture the stubborn group of travel transients (PCs).
D&D Adventure Ideas And Plot Hooks
1. A strange-looking, low-hanging cloud hangs over the village. What is really strange is that it never goes.
2. A boy in the neighborhood got lost. His buddies had dared him to venture into an old, deserted cabin in the woods out down. This was the last they saw of him.
3. The rotting corpse of a giant lies along a well-traveled street. The giant looks like it’s been dead for months, but travelers in a nearby wayside inn declare it was not there when they ventured through the afternoon of the previous day.
4. Two fans are having a loud spat on the road. Unexpectedly, one of them drops dead, their face contorted in a look of terror. A peculiar symbol glows on both sides of the neck and gradually starts to fade to nothingness.
5. The critters in the local area have been behaving strangely. They no longer appear to fear folks and are suffering an insatiable appetite for meat and the herbivores.
6. A shopkeeper, while renovating the basement of his store, finds a strange, rock doorway behind a shelf.
7. A small town is uncertain of what to do. A little child’s voice could be heard from a long-abandoned dry well, but no kids in the town are missing. What is more concerning is that each man or woman that has ventured to rescue the kid hasn’t returned.
8. A guy in a long black coat and wide-brimmed hat checks from an inn. As he stands outside the door, a small vial of green liquid drops out of his pocket.
9. A farmer rides in town, white as a sheet. He asserts his scarecrows have been moving closer to his house daily. This morning they had been out the windows of the residence. Is this the job of neighborhood pranksters, or anything different?
10. A tall, handsome guy in nice clothes stands in the middle of a crossroad. He appears to understand every one of those PCs titles and states and he has information that would be quite beneficial to them whenever they opt to return to the place at a time when the moon is at its apex.
11. The filled head of a great monster that adorns a place over the mantle at a neighborhood tavern abruptly comes to life and yells something in a peculiar language before exploding into flames.
12. Locals say a star fell from the sky last night and landed someplace nearby.
13. Each mirror in the city stops to reveal signs and provides glimpses into a dark keep instead.
14. The sound of crying echoes in the night as a group of villagers, armed with torches and pitchforks, collect outside a house, demanding the occupants surrender their young daughter.
- How To Run DnD Puzzles And Some Of The Best DND 5e Puzzles & Traps
- DND 5e Core Feats
- DND Homebrew Feats
15. A masked guy in a dark corner of the tavern promptly dies, a dagger in his spine and a sealed letter in his hands.
16. A worried father approaches the celebration in a tavern and asks for their assistance. His daughter is seeing a guy, and he does not approve. He pleads with all the celebration to finish the marriage. The only grab, the guy his daughter was visiting died a couple of decades back.
17. An innkeeper informs the players that a package has arrived for them. It’s a small silver locket with a date engraved on it. The date is one week from now.
18. The caretaker of a regional cemetery is yelling that individuals from the mausoleums scratched on the doors.
19. Something big was assaulting Farmer Biden’s cows. Whatever it is, it has murdered five in the previous week.
20. Late during the night, the noise of far-off drums could be heard from the darkness: war drums and many of them.
21. In a huge town, two rival street gangs vie for control over a locality, leaving several innocent bystanders dead. The neighborhood thieves’ guild sits back and waits to support the winner.
22. A town official approaches the celebration subtly, providing them with a reasonable amount of money to kill her husband. She then shows her husband died two weeks ago but has been lurking the streets ever since.
23. A brand new noble in the unidentified house came to town last month. Around precisely the same time, many vagrants from the region began to vanish.
24. A person who has hired assassins to remove a member of this party, but who’s behind the storyline, and for what reason?
25. A barbarian tribe is departing uncomfortably near the city and officials, in addition to the taxpayers, and they are becoming very worried.
26. A cleric gives the party an inventory containing bits of critters from the place she’s seeking to get her “job”. She offers to cover the celebration a handsome amount for every piece.
27 . A mysterious island abruptly appears off the coast of a stretch of shore or even a lake.
28. A mysterious island abruptly appears from the skies above a city or in a city.
29. A raven flies through an open window and lands on the ground, apparently dead, with a material attached to the leg. The raven then immediately transforms into a bloodied man.
31. A new brothel opens nearby, but they charge nothing. What is the catch?
32. A girl storms up among PCs with a part of this town/city watching, points to them, and yells “That is the one! That is the one which killed my husband.”
33. While lying in bed one night at an inn, one of those PCs hears a little thump beneath their mattress. It appears to be a journal that had been dislodged from the concealed resting place. It details a comprehensive plot to assassinate a dominant leader in a city with three days off. The final date in the diary is just two days past.
34. The local orchard owner was whining that his trees kept changing positions throughout the evening.
35. A young boy approaches a PC and hands them a thick, leather-bound tome using a thick lock onto it and whispers “I am sorry” before dashing in another direction.
36. A neighborhood baker whose firm was failing abruptly manages to turn things around with her fresh, flavorful meat pies. Meanwhile, unattended kids have been vanishing at an alarming speed.
37. An old guy in a dusty, roughspun robe asserts to be a golden dragon in disguise and directs the celebration to a fantastic treasure.
38. A savage-looking tribe of orcs arrive outside the gates of a small town and extend peace. Is it a hint?
39. The celebration receives invitations to get a formal ball held in a regional noble’s estate. The invitations were sent by a Mr. Dusk.
40. A new medication is running rampant through many cities and is gradually making its way to neighboring towns. The medication appears to offer you the brief capacity to execute minor magic spells, but protracted usage leaves the consumers with withered husks.
41. A prestigious bardic school stands accused of manipulating events to compose more intriguing stories and tunes.
42. A lovelorn guy drinks away his sorrows at a tavern after bandits across the street kidnapped his bride-to-be.
43. The gamers locate an abandoned village. Tables are still in place for dinner, however with moldering meals. Clothes and personal possessions are still located in houses. A minstrel’s lute is available leaning on a stool upon a small stage in the tavern. At the middle of this village is a well with a few tough words scratched on it in elvish (“A cost has to be paid”).
44. A dragon was amassing a little city tribute once a week for more than fifty decades. Two weeks before, the requirements stopped and nobody had heard anything of the dragon.
45. A neighborhood temple employs what’s quite possibly the worst cleric ever. It appears that anybody he treats expires. Fortunately, his church has granted him a responsibility to compensate for his ceaseless blunders; they have left him an undertaker too.
46. Some regional kids come running to the tavern searching for their parents, breathless and unconcerned about a cave behind a waterfall not far outside of the town, along with the big, hidden thing that started growling inside of it.
47. While coming into the town, the party sees a wanted poster with images of the likenesses drawn upon it. It says they are needed for murder, extortion, blackmail, thievery, and arson. They are incredibly dangerous, and there’s a substantial reward for their capture, alive or dead.
- DND Armor Enchantments (Homebrew)
- DND 5e Weapon Enchantments (Homebrew)
- How To Play DND On Pc? The Best Apps For D&D
48. A fire appears in the sky above a city. It outlines a ring around the perimeter. Then suddenly, it starts to rain.
49. A long left mine suddenly appears to be living with the sounds of picks and hammers echoing from inside in the middle of the night.
50. An emissary in the elven lands arrives at the town, and abruptly high heeled government officials start dropping dead, apparently contested.
51. People in a town are having the same dream simultaneously, night after night, and it involves a tall black tower erupting from the center of town with hoards of terrifying spirits taking to the streets.
52. The local library is facing strange occurrences, with candles getting snuffed out without any breeze, books flying off the racks and hitting people, and uncanny noises at night when the librarian is closing the door. It is all harmless until a shelf falls on a library attendee.
53. Rumors spread about a long-abandoned house on the outskirts of the town. It has remained dark and silent for ages but now people say they can hear voices and notice shadows moving within its four walls.
54. Townsfolk are suddenly unable to sleep, becoming increasingly agitated and violent as “the whispers keeping them awake” say the only way to be cured is to kill.
55. A mass bout of violent insanity sweeps the land, as people stop going about their day normally and switch to attacking any living thing they see.
56. For the past few weeks, monsters appear and roam the streets but it is always a single creature, appearing randomly, and here’s the twist- it is a different creature every time.
57. Shadowy figures of spectral soldiers appear in the town, growing in number with each passing day, and standing in the fields as if building their forces before the battle.
58. Once a month, the townsfolk turn into horrific monsters. They usually have their mental faculties intact, but sometimes, a few of them go on a rampage, hurting others and at times even killing each other.
59. The old clock tower strikes 13 times at midnight even though it hasn’t had a caretaker and remained silent for ages. Right after midnight, shadows start prowling the streets and they grow in number with every passing night.
60. The children start acting peculiarly. They stop playing all of a sudden to stand and stare at the forest nearby, silent and motionless. Few of the children say someone is asking them to help them in the woods but no one hears anything when this happens to a child.
61. An organization dedicated to keeping an evil force underground seeks aid with their duties as attempted incursions by their enemy increase in number and intensity.
62. An apocalyptic and magical calamity looms overhead as nations turn to digging and establishing underground safe-havens, but chaos and conflict with creatures of the caves underneath the ground cause difficulties in developing shelters.
63. A mage releases rare and violent monsters into an underground compound by mistake. They hire adventurers to locate and capture or eliminate the creatures before they can make their way to the surface.
64. A massive ancient underground city sprawls underneath a major city and its surrounding area. Nobles, scholars, and would-be adventurers explore the ruins for lost artifacts but come face to face with strange creatures stalking the streets.
65. People all over the world are vanishing with the only trace being a hole in the ground. The holes are large enough for the missing person to fit right through. Adventurers are summoned to investigate the holes for any clues about what’s happening.
66. Miners come across a seemingly endless cave system as the tunnels take them further beneath the surface before they find strange creatures that force their way back. Further exploration suggests that the tunnels go into impossible depths and keep continuing without an end in sight.
67. A rather eccentric wizard has hidden a magical treasure at the bottom of an unimaginably deep cave system, but they have also stocked the caves with increasingly powerful monsters further down.
68. Various underground crystals offer life-sustaining energy to the land above, but something starts corrupting them, causing the land to rot and wither. Stewards of the life-saving crystals call for help from nations to restore them and put a halt to whatever is happening.
69. An underground city wishes to reestablish routes to other cities via an ancient, underground roadway. Over the ages, the roads have been overrun with monsters and paths blocked by heaps of rubble. The city’s council is looking for anyone willing to assist in clearing those roadways for repairs.
70. An underground war begins between various cave dwellers. Each faction fights for supremacy over the others, and a part of it involves hiring adventurers as mercenaries.
71. A local farmer complains of strange noises that have plagued him the last few nights. Every night he goes out to investigate only to find strange prints from some unknown creature. Eventually, he finds one of his chickens slaughtered right in front of his home.
72. Local authorities of a town enforce strict curfew laws but they won’t explain why except that it’s for the safety of the townsfolk.
73. A once friendly old woman suddenly becomes irritable and belligerent. The locals claimed she was once a warm and loving woman and they have no explanation for her sudden change in demeanor.
74. The children begin behaving peculiarly overnight, acting cold and distant towards the adults. They gather in groups during the day, silently staring at the passersby of the town with cold unblinking stares.
75. A group of bandits terrorizes the countryside, and towns pool their available coins to hire the party to help stop the repeated attacks and raids.
76. After a town hall meeting, locals report hearing faint, unusual noises coming from underneath the building. The town hall doesn’t have a cellar, as far as people know.
77. A job flier shows up at the town’s tavern, promising a hefty reward for anyone who can debunk the local Wonders, a bunch of mysterious and paranormal areas as well as events dotted around town and its outskirts.
78. Most of the time, a small town remains a friendly place filled with amicable people, but once a month, the townsfolk stop visiting, and treat outsiders with great animosity.
79. A new family moved to the village recently. At first, they appear to be like any other family, but strange happenings start plaguing the town shortly. Strange, glowing orbs hover around the town, uncanny whispers flow around the streets like a light breeze, and reports of local fauna walking on hind legs start popping up.
80. Locals complain of a strange man in a dark cloak wandering through the town in the mornings. The sheriff has to handle more and more fights breaking out, and it all started around the same time as the reports of the man began.
81. The townsfolk begin disappearing one by one. Each night, a random person vanishes, and their neighbors claim to hear strange noises and see strange lights the night of their disappearance.
82. Two small towns continue a minor feud with each other with each claiming the other disrespects and vandalizes their businesses and homes. Their confrontations end in violence.
83. The townsfolk start falling ill, as a strange disease begins affecting the townsfolk shortly after a strange rain storm. No one knows how to treat the illness and healing magic merely suppresses the symptoms from worsening.
84. A small town situated at the base of a volcano uses primal fire elementals for several generations as part of an ancient pact with an efreeti. Lately, a few of the fire elementals have started acting up. There have been instances of them leaping from hearths, starting bushfires, and food getting overcooked.
85. The local fair is going to start soon, and townsfolk and locals begin to prepare for the event. Once the fair starts, the locals notice animals exhibiting strange behaviors, becoming eerily serene and watching people with great interest.
86. Recently, a small town began appearing in strange places, in the middle of a lake, atop a mountain, on the outskirts of a city, and so on. People who could enter the town and leave before it disappeared assert that the teleporting started a few weeks back but no one knows why or how. They also say they can’t leave the town anymore.
87. A small town had always enjoyed calm winters and great bountiful harvests, which they attribute to the good land and hard work. But, travelers go missing often, and that too, right around harvest season. No one knows what happens to those who go missing.
88. People in a specific ward of a city begin to turn into stone, and it happens at random, without much of a pattern. As a reaction, city officials quarantine the ward.
89. A war between 2 thief guilds wages within the city and the clashes between the guilds and local authorities slowly becomes the norm.
90. Statues in the city start to disappear and reappear in strange, unusual places; atop homes, outside shops, and in the middle of streets, to name a few. They appear harmless till one is found with the mangled corpse of a famous local figure.
91. Reports of a bunch of mysterious, hooded figures begin spreading throughout the city. Though nothing has happened yet, the paranoia and fear start gripping the people, some lashing out in erratic outbursts.
92. Strange lights appear over a city every night, followed by disappearances start. One city folk claims they escaped the so-called “people of the light.”
93. A city remains one of the few safe havens standing, as horrible monsters begin to roam free. A rogue group threatens the safety of the city as they plan to bring the monster in.
94. The city moves each day, shifting several feet away from its initial location, but no one knows how or why. No one knows where it’s heading.
95. The local baron locks down a city for no apparent reason, as guards are instructed to keep people within the city walls without an explanation.
96. The annual fighting tournament is about to begin, and sponsors start recruiting combatants and teams to represent their respective businesses and organizations.
97. One day, no one can leave the city, and anyone who attempts finds themselves going back in from a different street. The streets appear the same when looking from within the city as well as from outside.
98. A huge tower ascends from the center of a city, and a wizard calls for a challenge to anyone who conquers it, promising a great reward.
99. A rebellion breaks out in a city, and small skirmishes and sabotages disrupt day-to-day life.
100. A very powerful wizard encases a city in a magical barrier, claiming an ancient artifact lies somewhere in the city. But, no one knows the location or what it even is.