Believe it or not, but there once was a time when a vast majority of Fallout 4 players were clueless about how to throw a grenade or any other explosive for that matter. This was because the grenade throwing mechanism was slightly altered compared to the previous iteration of the game and any other fps game that one could think of.
As grenades are an essential weapon and since figuring out things like this by trial and error is a long and tiresome process, we decided to help you and many others out to rain down hellfire onto their enemies by teaching you how to throw grenades in Fallout 4.
Need of Grenade in Fallout 4
Before finding out how to throw grenade and equip it. We will see why we need to use grenade during our gameplay.
Grenades are powerful tools that can be used to deal damage to enemies, clear out areas, and create distractions. They are especially useful against heavily armored enemies or those hiding behind cover. Grenades can also be used to flush enemies out of cover or create openings for you to attack.
Here are some reasons why you should use grenades in Fallout 4:
- Grenades can deal a significant amount of damage to enemies. Even the toughest foes can be taken out with a well-placed grenade.
- Grenades can effectively clear out areas. If you find yourself surrounded by enemies, a grenade can swiftly eliminate them.
- Grenades can create distractions. When attempting to escape from enemies, a grenade can divert their attention, granting you valuable time to make your getaway.
Grenades are a valuable tool that can be used to your advantage in Fallout 4. If you aren’t utilizing grenades, you’re missing out on a potent weapon that can greatly enhance your survival in the Wasteland.
Equipping The Grenade in Fallout 4
One has to learn how to walk before they learn how to run. Similarly, before we learn how to throw grenades in fallout 4, we need to know how to equip it. Firstly, open up your weapon inventory from the Pip-Boy menu. Now, over time you must’ve collected lots of weapons, armors, and yes, grenades too.
Select the grenade from your weapon inventory just like you would with any other weapon to equip it. Once you equip it, there should be an indication confirming this action at the top left corner of your display screen. Even if this indication does not pop up, do not worry, as it is a simple bug.
However, if you want to make sure that the indication appears, you can either quit the game and do the process again or consult the Help option under grenades to solve it. Remember, it is possible that you might need to repeat the process of equipping over and over again, so it’s recommended to simply consult Help.
Now that you have received the indication, you can be sure that you have successfully equipped the grenade. Next, we can learn how to throw the grenades for absolute destruction.
How to Throw Grenades in Fallout 4
Now that you have your powerful grenade equipped, it is time to know how to throw it. Now, for this, you need to be aware of your melee button. The melee button will vary depending on the computer/console you are using to play Fallout 4. Using the Alt button on your keyboard is how to throw a grenade in Fallout 4 pc. Similarly, for PS4, it is the R1 (right 1) button, and for Xbox, it is the RB (right-back) button.
Now that you know which button to use based on your rig, let’s learn how to throw grenades in Fallout 4. For this, first, you need to find a target or targets to throw the grenade at. Once you’ve done so, aim at your target and get ready to throw it. Now, hold your melee button (Alt/R1/RB) and position yourself properly.
When you hold the melee button, it means that you’ve “pulled the pin” and have activated the grenade. You should be hearing a ticking sound right about now. However, do not worry, as it won’t explode until it leaves your hand. Now, assume the right trajectory and simply let go of the melee button. This action will throw the grenade onto the intended targets and explode them into pieces.
If you need an assist with the trajectory of the grenade to throw them more accurately at your targets, you can use some of the Fallout 4 perks. The recommended perk to do this is “The Demolition Expert” perk which will provide you with an incredibly visible throwing arc.
Find Out How to Better Aim Your Grenade in Fallout 4
Here are some tips on how to better aim your grenades in Fallout 4:
- Use the grenade’s arc to your advantage. Grenades in Fallout 4 have a predictable arc, so you can use this to your advantage when aiming. If you know where the enemy is, you can aim your grenade so that it will land in front of them and explode.
- Use the environment to your advantage. If you’re in a building, you can use the walls and other objects to bounce your grenades off of. This can help you get around corners and hit enemies that you can’t see directly.
- Use the VATS system. If you’re having trouble aiming your grenades, you can use the VATS system to help you. VATS will slow down time and allow you to target specific enemies. This can be helpful for hitting enemies that are far away or that are moving quickly.
- Practice makes perfect. The more you use grenades, the better you’ll get at aiming them. So don’t be afraid to experiment and try different things. The more you practice, the better you’ll become at hitting your targets.
Tips to Using A Grenade in Fallout 4
Now that you know how to equip and how to throw grenades in Fallout 4, let us learn some tips that can help you use them effectively in dire situations and strategize with them.
- Note that in Fallout 4, there is no way to time the explosion of the grenade. This means that it doesn’t matter how long you hold it in your hand after activating it, as its timer starts only once it leaves your hand.
- If you are not used to the grenade’s trajectory, it is recommended to use a perk such as “The Demolition Expert” perk to assist you in doing so. This will guarantee your chances to land the grenade at the intended position.
- If you find a group of targets hoarded together, sneak to a safe place away from them yet within the range of the grenade to throw it at them. A grenade is one of the best possible ways you can clear out groups.
That’s it for the tutorial on how to throw grenades in Fallout 4. Now you are an expert at equipping and throwing grenades to obliterate your enemies. In addition to that, hopefully, the tips for using a grenade can help you be more efficient with your usage of grenades. Now it’s time to try it out in the game.